Monday, February 9, 2009

Ol' Painty Can Ned



I mentioned previously that I needed to get some hop socks for my pellet hops so they wouldn't clog the valve on the brew kettle. Well here is what I used:


Paint strainers! I got them from Home Depot, they came in a two-pack for $2.28. They'll hold quite a bit of hops. I weighted them down with a stainless steel spoon, tied the end off, and just dropped them in the kettle. When it came time to drain the kettle, no muss, no fuss, no clogs. I highly recommend them. I know you can get something similar from the LHBS, but these were cheaper and they seem more durable.

For you non-Simpson's fans out there, the title of this post refers to Ned Flanders, Homer Simpson's neighbor. Bart spent some time at the Flanders', and Homer pressed him for some dirt on Ned. The only thing Bart could come up with was that Ned kept some old paint cans in his garage, causing Homer to exclaim tauntingly, "Ol' painty can Ned". I guess you had to see the episode.

1 comment: