Monday, August 24, 2009

Omega King Recipe


I know I said I was going to post this a long time ago, but I finally dug out the recipe for my Omega King India Pale Ale because I'm thinking about brewing it again soon. Unfortunately, I only wrote the grain bill and the hop schedule down, so I'm reconstructing some of the other details from memory. So without further ado, here is the blue ribbon winning recipe:


Omega King India Pale Ale (approx 15 gallons)
15 lbs Pilsner Malt
10 lbs 2-row
8 oz Special B
8 oz Caramalt 60L
8 oz Melanoidin malt
8 oz Carapils
8 oz caravienna

Mash 45 minutes at 152F

Hop Schedule

2 oz Columbus 60 min
2 oz Chinook 30 min
2 oz Centennial 30 min
3 oz Cascade 15 min
1 oz Chinook 0 min
1 oz Centennial 0 min

Dry Hop

2 oz Columbus, 1 oz Chinook, 1 oz Centennial, 1 oz Cascade

I don't have the O.G. or F.G. but I assume that it started in the upper 1.050s and ended around 1.014. I do remember that it was around 6% alcohol by volume.

I made a gallon starter using light DME and Wyeast American Ale 1056, and fermented for about 2 weeks at 65F? I then dry-hopped in secondary for another week.

It won 1st place in its category at the B.U.Z.Z. brewoff. I'll post the tasting notes if I can find them--yes I know I haven't been organized lately.


No comments:

Post a Comment